HWRHS Community Summer Reading is Back

Florin Gorgan via Flickr

In the past eight years, dozens of HWRHS staff members have chosen to help share their love of reading with the school community by sponsoring a book for the Community Summer Reading Program. This program asks every student in the high school to choose one of these books and complete an assignment. In the fall, students and staff that read the same book are able to have a discussion and delve deeper into the story. This year, 42 books have been sponsored across a variety of subjects and genres. You can view all these books and some guidelines for selecting a book here.

Sign-ups for books will be available here beginning at 6pm this Monday, June 5. The options for the assignment can be found here.

Choosing a book you find interesting will be essential, but so is accessing the book. Many of them can be found at the Hamilton Wenham Public Library. You can check availability in the catalog. If the book is unavailable in the consortium (too many holds or not enough books), students may choose to purchase the book themselves or use the Sora app to access the book. Information about the Sora app can be found at the bottom of this doc.

This program is a summer reading requirement for all students. More information about summer reading for classes will be released shortly.

The English department also wants to remind students that they should continue to read throughout the summer, in addition to their required summer reading. Students are encouraged to keep a journal this summer. For book recommendations, all community members are invited to try the HW Public Library’s Your Next Great Read service.