The Student News Site of Hamilton-Wenham Regional High School

The General Consensus

The General Consensus

The General Consensus

Why do New Year’s Resolutions fail?

Many+people+make+new+years+resolutions.+But+it+can+be+hard+to+keep+them+as+the+days+turn+in+to+months.+
Many people make new years resolutions. But it can be hard to keep them as the days turn in to months.

With the arrival of the New Year, many people are hoping for a fresh start. For many, this means setting New Year’s resolutions. However, according to Drive Research, only 9% of adults see their resolutions at the end of the year. 

New Years serves as time for people to reflect on their past year, causing people to consider the changes in their behavior that they want to make. Most commonly, people hope to improve their mental or physical health through changing their diet, improving their fitness, or losing weight. Resolutions give an opportunity to achieve that change. 

So why are they so difficult to keep? 

One of the reasons resolutions are often abandoned is that people tend to set goals that are too large and unrealistic for their everyday lives, like suddenly changing their eating or sleeping habits, spending significantly less money, or exercising much more than they are used to. The problem is that, as licensed psychologist Terri Bly told Very Well Mind, “As humans, we’re not wired to make big, sweeping changes.” 

Additionally, people find it very difficult to continue as they see their resolution as something they should do rather than something they want to do. This makes them less motivated to continue. Bly explains that “if we hate doing [our resolution], any goal we set is just pain, and we’re not really sure what the reward is going to be, we’re not going to do it.” 

Instead, people should set smaller, more immediate goals that make their end goal less large and threatening. For example, if the goal is to eat a more balanced diet, people should start slowly by adding small amounts of food, like adding a vegetable to dinner, rather than changing their entire diet. It’s important to note that resolutions can evolve, once one goal is met,  set another.  

Furthermore, New Year’s resolutions are often made without a solid plan or goal for the future. This isn’t sustainable long term because, without a realistic plan, resolutions collapse more easily. People are more likely to be consistent with their goals if they have steps in place and they use them to hold themselves accountable. 

Additionally, people face a lack of accountability when making resolutions. People lose motivation quickly, and many cannot rely solely on themselves to hold themselves accountable. Instead, people should use someone to hold them accountable, which will motivate them in positive ways.  The goal is not guilt, but rather encouragement. Join a class with a friend or significant other, or promise to work out every time your child is outside playing in the yard.

Resolutions can lead to great change; however, they are only possible with realistic goals and planning.