Biden’s Student Loan Debt Relief: What is it, and is it legal?

Student+Loan+Debt+weighs+on+many+peoples+minds.+Biden+is+proposing+it+be+forgiven.+

Magdiel Mayorga via Flickr

Student Loan Debt weighs on many peoples’ minds. Biden is proposing it be forgiven.

President Biden released his plan for student loan forgiveness, August 24, 2022, and it has many people worried and wondering if what he wants is even legal. There are questions of legality and morality in getting this plan approved.

Biden’s plan is to relieve $10,000 of student loan debt from single people making less than $125,000 a year or married people making less than $250,000 a year. This plan seems good at face value but, looking  deeper, there are some concerns.

When Biden announced his plan to put a dent in the $1.6 trillion of student loan debt across the US, there didn’t seem to be a problem, but it is very questionable if his plan is even legal. Nancy Pelosi, the former Speaker of the House, said that Biden does not have the power as President to create this plan. 

If he had gotten the votes he needed from the Senate then the plan would become a piece of legislation and ready to become real. Unfortunately, this is not what happened and now there is much confusion, from students who applied for this student loan relief to the President himself. 

The reason his plan is on shaky ground is because Biden tried to implement it directly without getting the proper votes from the Senate, which is questionable from a legal standpoint.

This plan and its controversies could set a precedent for future plans to be created and enacted executively instead of legislatively. If this happens, then there could be much more confusion and fighting in court, which is a dangerous move for the President to make.

There is also the question of whether or not the plan should even be enacted. What does it mean for all the people who went into debt and worked hard to pay it off, that now pay taxes to pay off other people’s debt? This plan helps people in student loan debt, but at the same time hurts the taxpayers who have to pay for their student loans. 

It was their decision to go to college and to go into debt, and they should have to live with the consequences of their actions instead of getting a get out of jail free card from the other tax-paying Americans that paid off their student loans through hard work. 

On the other hand, this plan could be very beneficial and really help people that are in need. Many people are plagued by their student debt, and it is stopping them from achieving better things in their life, and they need some help. If the plan comes through, that could really save some people that are in a rough spot.

Although this plan is on shaky ground, it could still come through and become real. If any high school students are planning on going to an expensive college and might go into debt, keep an eye out for this plan to be enacted because it could help them out immensely.