Schools should require extracurricular participation

Alex Boardman, Student Journalist

Extracurricular activities like clubs and sports are very important and should be required by the school to ensure that all of their students are staying connected with the schools provided activities. 

As someone who participates in multiple extracurricular activities,I don’t regret doing any of them. In fact, I highly recommend them. Not only is it something that you can enjoy and look forward to participating in after school, but it is a great way to meet new people. According to Crimson Education, “making friends can be challenging, but one of the easiest ways is through extracurricular activities.”

With the school making extracurricular activities a requirement, students will be able to connect with other people. Simply having the school require these activities would ensure the social abilities and involvement of every student. 

If every student was to participate, the school could organize more clubs or sports that students are looking to participate in, and quickly set them up with the encouragement of a few other students. Nobody would be left empty-handed because every possible interest would be provided.

These activities also encourage good attendance. Students would be more motivated to get to school on time and make sure that they are not late if they were involved in an extracurricular activity.

Lastly, participating in extracurricular activities can provide positive information on your record, which can help you get into a better college and get a good job in the future. Colleges will see this information and be aware that you are an active student.

According to Neumann, “striking a healthy balance between activities in and out of the classroom will make you a more well-rounded individual, will help you succeed in the classroom, and will give you a competitive edge when applying to college.”