The Student News Site of Hamilton-Wenham Regional High School

The General Consensus

The General Consensus

The General Consensus

Bruins and Celtics Playoff Update

Jayson Tatum taking a free throw
Erik Drost
Jayson Tatum taking a free throw

The Celtics have had a tremendous season, finishing with the best record in the NBA—64-18, their fourth-best season of all time.

They took on the Miami Heat in the first round, who got their spot in the play-in tournament. Splitting games 1 and 2 at home caused the fanbase to be nervous, but they came back, winning the next three games and moving on. In the second round, they played the Cleveland Cavaliers, winning an exciting round 4-1. Now, they are set to play the Indiana Pacers. This is their third straight Eastern Conference Finals.

So far in the NBA Playoffs this year, Jayson Tatum has been a key factor in the Celtics’ offense, averaging 26.9 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 4.9 assists per game. He has been able to play all around the court this season, putting up points in the paint and around the perimeter. He has performed really well during the regular season and this year’s playoffs. 

Jaylen Brown has been doing great this season, averaging 23 points, alongside Tatum. He has been good on offense and defense this year. They have always been a great duo in the NBA. 

Derrick White has also been putting up great numbers this year, averaging 15.2 points per game. He has been a starter this year after the Celtics traded point guard Marcus Smart to the Grizzlies. In return for Marcus Smart, the Celtics got Kristaps Porzingis, who has been a key player this season. 

Jrue Holiday has been one of the Celtics point guards this year, averaging 12.5 points per game. He has spent his past years in Milwaukee but was traded to the Celtics this year. He has been a great leader this year for the Celtics.

The Celtics center, Kristaps Porzingis, has been dominating this year, averaging 20.1 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. This is his first year as a Celtic; he has played his past seasons on the Wizards alongside Bradley Beal. Porzingis has been out for most of the playoffs due to a calf injury but is expected to return for the Eastern Conference finals. 

Similar to the Celtics, the Bruins are in the playoffs, fighting to stay alive and advance to the next round. 

The Boston Bruins are back in the playoffs after their first-round exit last year.

Brad Marchand in a game vs the Detroit Red Wings (slidingsideways)

They have had a pretty good season, finishing second in their division and 4th in the conference. Their regular season record finished at 47-20-15, only 5 points from the top of the east. 

The Boston Bruins, showing their never-give-up spirit, are back in the playoffs after their first-round exit last year. They have had a pretty good season, finishing second in their division and 4th in the conference. Their regular season record finished at 47-20-15, only 5 points from the top of the east. In the previous season, the Bruins had the best season of all time, only to blow a 3-1 lead in the first round, losing to the Florida Panthers. Once again, the Bruins went up 3-1, this time vs the Toronto Maple Leafs. In game 5, they would lose a heartbreaker in overtime 2-1. The next game was in Toronto, and home-field advantage was key, bringing Toronto to another 2-1 win. Once again, the Bruins faced the Florida Panthers in the playoffs and had the same result, losing the series 4-2. 

David Pastranak has been the star of the Bruins this year, with 47 goals. That is the seventh-most goals in the league, proving that he is a star on the Bruins and a star of the NHL. 

Brad Marchand is the captain of the Bruins and has been a key player over the past decade. He is the only player on the Bruins roster who has won a Stanley Cup with the team. He is in his 14th season with the Bruins and is a fan favorite in Boston. So far in the playoffs, Marchand is leading the Bruins with 10 points consisting of 3 goals and seven assists. 

Jeremey Swayman has played unbelievably so far in the playoffs. He has taken the majority of the starts over Linus Ullmark, who is a top goalie in the NHL, because of his stellar playoff performances. In the first series versus Toronto, he didn’t give up more than two goals in one game. The average goals scored for each NHL team is 3.1 a game showing how unreal Swayman’s goalkeeping was. 

Charlie Coyle is another key player for the Bruins. He is their Center, taking the faceoffs for the first line. He has been unreal defensively in the playoffs, almost getting 5+ hits every game. 

Charlie McAvoy is a defenseman for the Bruins. He played very well in the Toronto series, even getting 11 hits in one game. He has four assists in the playoffs, which is building off his 35-assist season. 

The Celtics are having a pretty good run during the playoffs; however, the Boston Bruins couldn’t stay alive in the playoffs, losing to the Florida Panthers 4-2. The Celtics still have a chance to make it to the NBA Finals as long as they can beat the Indiana Pacers, while the Bruins will be preparing for next year, figuring out what they need to do to make a Stanley Cup run next year. 

UPDATE: The Boston Celtics beat the Indiana Pacers and will advance to the NBA Finals. They will play the Dallas Mavericks, who have a former Celtic, Kyrie Irving. The Celtics are hoping to finish the job against the Mavericks, making them world champions.