Food (drive) for thought: an update on Max and Timothy’s food drive

Over 300 items donated over a two-week span by Hamilton-Wenham students and their families

Michelle Giuffre

Max Vanderwilden (’21) and Timothy LaBudde (’21) loading the donated food into Ms. Nygren’s car

All HWRHS students attending school between April 1st and April 12th heard Max Vanderwilden and Timothy LaBudde promoting their food drive during morning or afternoon announcements and saw their decorated collection boxes in the lobby. With these announcements and the following school involvement, what started in room 207 as only a theoretical initiative became a school-wide effort.

Max and Timothy are happy to announce that the food drive collected 338 total items, a successful yield for the first food drive these students have organized.

Along with a few more volunteers, Max and Timothy personally delivered the donated items to Acord Food Pantry on April 23rd. The donations totaled 328 pounds of food, an estimated 274 meals to those in need.

After this successful first food drive endeavor, the event is anticipated to become an annual initiative for the Hamilton-Wenham community. Hopefully the impressive execution of this food drive can also inspire all Hamilton-Wenham students to initiate events of their own desires to benefit causes they find important.

We hope that when next year rolls around you’ll consider donating to this drive once more. Let’s break our record of 338 items! If you see Timothy or Max in the hallways, be sure to congratulate them for planning a successful event to benefit those in need.

The announcement of Max and Timothy’s food drive was our most-viewed article to date.

Michelle Giuffre
Timothy LaBudde (’21) and Max Vanderwilen (’21) in front of the donations they gathered