Katherine Bradford Montserrat Arts Award

Are you looking for an opportunity to improve your art skills and develop a portfolio for your college applications this summer? If you answered yes, then look out for the Katherine Bradford Montserrat Arts Award scholarship sponsored by The Hamilton-Wenham Friends of the Arts and Montserrat College of Art. This scholarship is a full tuition grant that is worth $2,950. It is open to one rising HWRHS Junior or Senior. This is an opportunity to attend Montserrat’s three-week program from July 9 to July 29, 2023. This pre-college program can help introduce students to college life, clarify expectations of an art college experience and provide an opportunity to create art for college applications. You will focus on foundational drawing skills, as well as discover new subjects and mediums through the electives that are offered.

Previous award winners: Amanda Lannon and Andrew Jones showing off the work they created in the 3-week program. (Provided by HW FOTA)

Previous award winners include Amanda Lannon, Andrew Jones and Sophie Keys. These students believe that this was a very valuable experience for their art career. Recent HWRHS graduate Sophie Keys shared,

“I thought the summer program was a great way to continue enriching my art skills over the summer with art professors who knew a lot about their subjects and mediums. I used techniques I had never been taught before. Now, going into college art classes, I’ve felt so much more prepared because of my experience at Montserrat.”

One of Amanda Lannon’s photographs from her time at Montserrat’s Pre-College Program. (Provided by HW FOTA)

Andrew Jones agreed,

“At Montserrat, I enjoyed the intensive focus on developing practical skills to become a better artist. With the aid of the professors, I was able to learn new skills, develop better techniques, and create strong pieces of artwork. I think that this was a valuable experience for me because it pushed me to explore more of the art world and learn new skills. I am still using a lot of the techniques that I learned during those three weeks.”

One of Andrew Jones’ drawings from his Foundational Drawing class. (Provided by HW FOTA)

HW FOTA president Tracey Westgate believes that this is an important opportunity for students to grow and learn before heading to College, she explained,

“The Montserrat Pre-College Program is a fantastic opportunity for students to explore what it would be like to attend art school. Students are able to study various topic areas in depth, while enhancing their portfolios for college. Upon completion, students receive three college credits, as well as written evaluations from each course instructor. Hamilton-Wenham Friends of the Arts is proud to continue the tradition of offering the Katherine Bradford Art Award, in partnership with Montserrat, which we believe offers a unique art education experience for teens.” 

Application deadline is May 1st, 2023.  Students must be 16 years old by July 9, 2023. Explore Montserrat College of Art, and spend your summer surrounding yourself with other students who are interested in art just like you and learning in a creative environment.