The Student News Site of Hamilton-Wenham Regional High School

The General Consensus

The General Consensus

The General Consensus

Hamilton Wenham Girls Ski Team Has a strong end to their season

Sophmore, Evie Bernard, racing down the mountain for HWI at the race on February 7th vs. North Andover and Masco. (Given permission by Maddie Minich)

The HWRHS girls’ ski team had a strong season with 11 straight wins and only one loss. 

When asked what has led to their success, many of the members of the ski team discussed teamwork.

“We all support each other; we all cheer each other on,” freshman varsity skier Molly Ryan said.

She went on to explain how supportive the captains and her coach have been. In Ryan’s freshman year, she placed third overall in a race. She has certainly been an asset to the team and helped them succeed.

Another skier who has significantly contributed to the team’s success is sophomore varsity skier Evie Bernard. Currently, she is tied for number 1 in the North Shore Ski League. Evie Bernard has placed first multiple times in races, which has led to the team’s undefeated record. 

On January 17th, 2024, sisters Evie Bernard and Senior Captain Stewart Bernard helped their team win their race, both coming in the top ten for the individual race 3. 

Maren Mccaughey, a freshman varsity skier, has been skiing since she was two years old. She mentioned she joined the team because she thought it would be an enjoyable experience, and she loves skiing.

The 2024 girls’ ski team is excited to continue their winning streak. (With permission from Maddie Minich)

Varsity senior captain Maddie Minich explained how the team has worked together so well. All of the racers are very supportive of one another. 

“At the end of every race, we cheer each other on from the bottom and build each other up,” Freshman varsity skier Sydney Smith said.

“I have learned how to ski on new terrains and have improved my skiing in gates,” Smith said.

When Minich was asked how the team has improved so much from last year, she explained that the team has gotten to know each other very well, and everyone is always trying their hardest at races and practices.

Minich also goes on to say how the team has many more participants this year, so this has improved the team’s overall scores in all of the races.

The team had an amazing season, with only one loss, and hope to be undefeated next year.